Greetings from Hordville, Nebraska. The mules and I arrived here this morning (July 17, 2019) and set up a welcome camp under the linden tree by the rail road tracks. A wonderful place to duck the heat before things heated up this afternoon.
Temperatures have been in the 90s all this week with higher temps forecast. This limits the amount of time the mules can be ridden. The hot weather makes it easy to scald – or overheat – their backs. That’s why it was so nice to find a cool spot under a shade tree before the afternoon started scorching us on the road.
From here the mules and I plan to travel to Central City, about 9 miles away. There I hope to find a spot where I can give the mules 2 much needed days off.
- Dale Wittgren and his son Michael: for last night’s mule accommodations, shower, beer, pizza, sandwich, cold drinks and stories of sailing a steel sailboat from Hawaii to California.
- Hordville Town Clerk Scott Simonson: for making the call that got me the spot under the linden tree.
- Murray and Cheryl Fowler for letting us camp on the land they lease from the railroad. Thanks, too, Murray, for the lesson in de-tasseling corn.
- Carla: for directions and the key to the community center
- The Town Hall coffee drinkers: for the coffee, banana nut bread and directions to Central City, our next destination.
- Banana Rams bar: for peanuts and water when I was almost out of food. And beer. I’ll be right there guys!
3 Responses to Hordville Hello